Have you ever wanted to say that…to yourself? Most of us can get in our own way sometimes. We come up with a plan, we know what we want to do and then we get stuck! We get in our own way. Despite our best intentions we get diverted. We find ourselves unable to complete the simplest of tasks because we are more comfortable staying in what we know instead of taking the leap into the unknown.
Sometimes it is a distraction that gets in the way, “Oh, I want to watch this show”. Maybe it is a phone call we want to make instead. There are countless ways we can get distracted from following through with our true intentions. Sometimes the distraction can even be nothing. Simple stillness can be more comfortable than the uncomfortableness of what might come next.
Also, we can get in our way with faulty thought processes. An ingrained belief that we don’t deserve the achievement we want or that we are incapable of achieving it. The distractions are a symptom of the faulty thought process. BUT, HOW DO WE GET OVER THEM!
There is an easy way to do this. “If it is so easy then why do so many people get so stuck?” It’s simple; we just don’t know there is another way.
I have a simple tool you can use to overcome yourself.
First, when you have a goal or plan you want to achieve, write it out. Make a detailed list of the steps it will take to achieve your goal. This list is the map of the road you will take to get there. Don’t think about the “what ifs” or doubts, just make the list.
Step 1 – I want to write my first blog.
- Brainstorm ideas for topics
- Pick a topic
- Write the blog
- Figure out how to publish it.
Second, begin the process of working toward your goal/plan: now listen to your internal dialogue. This is where you might start getting in your way, where feelings and thoughts about your ability come into play. Frequently, these thoughts and feelings will have a negative message for you, about you. What are these messages? What are they saying about you? Do they tell you that you are not good enough? You will not be successful. You can’t do it. Write down the messages, thoughts and feelings.
Step 2 list of negative messages – (I sat down to brainstorm and…)
- I can’t do this.
- No one will read it.
- I don’t know how to publish it.
- Why bother.
Third, take a look at each of the things you wrote down in the second step and ask yourself “is this true?” Chances are it is not true. We all have doubt at different times and it is usually based on a fear of being as great as we really are. These doubts and fears are not based in reality. For each of these things write down the truth. What is real in this situation? If you are having difficulty finding a truth that is different from the message, ask yourself what you would tell a friend in the same situation.
Step 3 (1-4 corresponds with 1-4 from above)
- Not true – I can write. I’m no Shakespeare but I have something to say.
- Not true – I will read it, some of my friends might read it. I will let others make the decision if they read it.
- True – I guess I will have to figure out how to publish it.
- Why bother? – Because this is something I want to do. This is my goal. I want to share this part of me with the world.
Fourth, write an affirmation that affirms the truth. Use only positive language.
Step 4 (again 1-4 corresponds with a-b from above)
- I know how to write and the words will flow and I will write my truth.
- This is an expression of myself. Those who read it are supposed to read it.
- I am capable of learning the steps it will take to achieve my goals.
- I am committed to myself and doing what I love.
Finally, continue on the road that you originally set out for yourself. There may be times when you need to adjust the plan or add a few more steps. These steps will keep you on the same road, just with a little more detail.
I am going to write my first blog
- Brainstorm for topic ideas
- Pick my topic
- Write a blog.
- Do internet research to find out how to publish a blog.
- Create an account at Blogging site/web page etc. in order to create my page.
- Publish Blog
Yes, it may be difficult. Yes, you may still get in your way. Can you do it? YES!
It is a simple concept and can come with hang ups. The purpose is to continue to strive to achieve your goals and take the steps necessary to raise yourself up. Know the truth. You are a unique divine individual and you deserve to live the life you want.